A common problem after becoming lucid is losing one's lucidity — ie., the dreamer forgets that they are dreaming, and the dream reverts back to a normal, non-lucid dream. This is generally thought of as undesirable, so this page is concerned by methods for remaining lucid.
- Pay as much attention to the scenery as possible. Look at and touch things, while thinking about how real everything seems.
- Concentrate about lucidity, or verbalise a wish to remain lucid or become more lucid.
- Experimenting and doing things that are not possible in real life will usually keep you preoccupied with the fact that you are in a dream, and make you less prone to loss of lucidity. See dream control.
- Ask a dream character to go along with you, and remind you that you are dreaming.
- Keep doing reality checks.